Hawthorn-Melbourne offers General English programs for students of all English abilities. Divided into 6 distinct levels of study, all students are tested and counselled on arrival to determine their needs, long term goals and an individual study pathway. Students are then placed into a level that is suitable for them.
The General English programs concentrate on improving speaking, listening, reading and writing skills. Students are also encouraged to develop these skills beyond the classroom environment by becoming involved in after class activities and weekend social activities.
The aim of the general English programs are for students to develop:
- oral communication skills
- fluency and accuracy in spoken language
- a better understanding of native English speakers
- expanding their vocabulary
- developing the skills and confidence they need to use English outside of the classroom.
General English fact file
- Regular assessment and testing is conducted throughout the course every five weeks
- A curriculum based class excursion is held every five weeks so students can use their English outside of the classroom
- Class times for our General Programs are:
Mon-Fri 8.30am-2.30pm including a 1 hour break for lunch
- GE: General English
- GE1: General English 1 (Elementary to Pre-Intermediate)
- GE2: General English 2 (Intermediate to Upper Intermediate)
- GE3: General English 3 (Pre-Advanced to Advanced)